Minneapolis Public Schools welcomes English Learners (EL) and the rich diversity they bring to our schools. More than 8,000 students in Minneapolis Public Schools are English Learners. Most of these students speak Spanish, Somali, Oromo, and Hmong. EL services in Minneapolis Public Schools are designed to ensure that:
• Students enhance their English skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing
• Students have access to quality school curriculum
• Students are supported to reach high academic standards in English and content areas
• Students learn in a setting supportive of their native language and culture
• Families can fully participate in the education of their children
School selection for EL students depends on a number of factors, including where they live, the services local schools
offer and family preference.